Helpful Tips on Haul Out & Storage
If you are like most boaters you probably have haul out and storage on your mind. Here’s a few mindful tips to help you sail through this process as smooth as possible!
- RUN boat before you put it away for storage – this will give you an idea of what needs to be fixed before winterizing
- MAKE SURE all running gear is aligned and functioning properly BEFORE lifting out
- FILL tanks with fuel to prevent condensation
- REMOVE drain plug and clean strainers
- WASH down boat, scrub decks and hull to remove any build up over the boating season
- OPEN and drain sea-cocks
- ROLL UP the cockpit carpeting and remove any items blocking access to the engine room for the technicians – they will appreciate it!
- DO NOT leave any items on the seats over winter as they can stain or leave indentations in the material
- FLUSH heads several times with clean water to prevent waste from pooling in the hoses and permeating a smell over the winter
- CLEAN interior and double check all refrigerator and lockers
- RAISE bow to efficiently dry out boat before storing to prevent moisture and mildew
- INSPECT anchor, chain, through hull fittings and cracks or blisters in hull
- CHECK engines, props, and shafts for any damage
- WINTERIZE your boat by changing oil, antifreeze, fogging out engine, removing drive belts, greasing joints and bearings, and disconnecting your battery
- REPLACE worn bearings, corroded fittings, and zincs
- CLEAN ground plates
- TEST and lubricate sea-cocks
- PREP hull for bottom paint
LASTLY make sure to wax or detail boat before storing to help prevent it from rust and corrosion!